This post discusses the significance of the 2020 study published in the Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine called “Effects of Chiropractic Care on Strength, Balance, and Endurance in Active-Duty U.S. Military Personnel with Low Back Pain: A Randomized Controlled Trial”.
Every athlete is looking for and working towards an advantage that will make them perform better. Chiropractic care should be part of that equation. And the same reasons that chiropractic adjustments help an athlete perform better on the field or court is why adults and elderly deserve chiropractic.
Recent research shows that chiropractic adjustments improved strength, endurance, and balance while reducing pain. The research was remarkable and as follows:
- The objective of the study was to investigate the role of chiropractic care on strength, balance, and endurance in active-duty US military with low back pain. Study participants were 110 active-duty military personnel between the ages of 18 to 40 years of age.
- Participants are randomly allocated to four weeks of chiropractic care or to a wait list control.
- The chiropractic care consisted of spinal manipulation, education, and advice.
- Outcome measurements were isometric pulling strength from a semi squat position, single leg balance with eyesopen and eyes closed, trunk muscle endurance, pain severity using the visual analog scale, and disability measuredwith the Roland Morris disability questionnaire.
- This is the first study to evaluate and report on isometric strength, endurance, and balance following a course of carewhich includes spinal manipulation.
- Low back pain is a prevalent problem. Between 1986 and 2016, healthcare spending for low back pain and neck painconsistently ranks among the top five conditions in the United States. Between 2001-2016, low back pain was themost prevalent musculoskeletal pain related diagnoses among active-duty military personnel.
- Spinal manipulation facilitates trunk muscle strength through motor neuron facilitation or disinhibition.
- Spinal manipulation may improve sensory signaling, influence changes in motor neuron output and reduce sensitivity to pain.
- Pain inhibiting effects from spinal manipulation may lead to greater mobility and more normalized trunk musclemotor firing patterns because of a reduced need to avoid painful positions or movements.
- Four weeks of chiropractic care resulted in improvement of strength, balance with eyes closed, and endurance compared with wait list controls.
- Chiropractic care resulted in moderate short-term improvements in low back pain intensity and disability and facilitated a return towards normal functional capacity for active-duty military personnel whose physical performance was compromised by low back pain.
- Chiropractic care was said to be exceptionally safe in this study.
- The conclusion of the study was that active-duty military personnel receiving chiropractic care exhibited improvedstrength and endurance, increased balance, and reduced low back pain intensity and disability compared with the wait-list control group.The spine plays a role in all body health and functions because of its intimate relationship with the brain and central nervous system. When spinal bones are more aligned and mobile, the brain communicates to the muscles, organs, and tissues in a more harmonious way.
- This is why chiropractic adjustments help so many aspects of health and human performance. From athletes or weekend warriors to adults and elderly trying to live their best life, chiropractic care can play an important role in maximizing strength, endurance and balance while reducing pain. All of this is done without the use of drugs or surgery, making chiropractic a very important part of healthcare in 2021 and beyond.